Sunday, October 02, 2016

Sunday Sketches (From England)

Last weekend we took a drive with Michael's family through North Yorkshire to take in the beautiful countryside. The view was absolutely incredible. My favorite part of the trip was visiting a handful of English villages along the way. My creative heart and mind were captivated by the intricate details of the various cottages, including the foliage. It was like walking through a real-life fairy-tale seeing the colorful ivy meandering its way up and around each home, stone walls smothered in bright green spongy moss and creeks flowing alongside the edge of the cobblestone streets. My child-like heart began to overflow. There's been a notable difference in my last few illustrations and I'm sure it's from the magic that filled my heart on that very day.

Here's to a fabulous weekend and a happy Sunday Sketches to each of you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're participating in Sunday Sketches, you can grab the NEW Sunday Sketches button HERE.

Submit your artwork by signing up below with a link to your blog. PLEASE make sure to visit each other! One of the biggest reasons for this co-op is encouraging one another in our creative endeavors. Thank you!

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Oh, wow! Based on that photograph alone, I can see how you could be highly inspired. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are getting to visit the beautiful English countryside - nothing compares with the rolling hills and farmland, nothing!!

    Hope all is going well Alex - love to you both.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to have taken that drive with you, beautifully inspired sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an enchanting painting and country cottage. I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the scenery and inspiration of village life in the UK. We have Ivy and Virginia Creeper growing on our house walls. The creeper turns an amazing array of autumn colours at this time of year.
    Glad that the home fire is burning in your illustration though... it's definitely turning chilly in the evening's.
    Have a great Sunday and thanks for providing the link once again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love all the colour :D such a happy looking piece of work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a beautiful illustration and an amazing place to visit, it does look like a fairy tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your notes about England so very much as well as all the inspiring photographs you are posting. Last week I told one of my colleagues about the amazing tea room you recently had on your blog and we considered to open such a place in Germany and went lost in "tea-room-day-dreams" ... I also love it so much to see your amazing drawings inspired from this most lovely country! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful painting, you have captured the feeling of the rolling countryside so well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Alexandra, I absolutely love your new sketches as well as the beautiful countryside photos!! It is truly like a fairytale for you to be able to see all of that beauty that we usually just see in books!! I hope Michael`s mom is doing good and you are enjoying this family time as well as the side trips. Still thinking of you as you pray for your brother. Love to you today from Birmingham!!! Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I am so glad I found your Sunday sketches. Thank you. I was looking for something like this. Your art is wonderful and I especially like your photo. Have a very nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purely magical!!! I love your drawing and I love the building! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely sketch, Alexandra! I adore the English cottage styles....your description is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alexandra. . .you illustration is filled with possibility of open spaces and room for the childhood heart to roam. And that image of the cottages, yes, I understand, having been to the UK several times, how that landscape changes us or, at the very least, unlocks something within. I've never really come close to buying a house here in the states because I've yet to find the place that "unlocks" my heart as such. . . and can't see the point of buying something for any other reason really, and our housing market is obnoxious anymore. But the one time I seriously considered it was for an old Mill Pond house in Vermont, built in 1789 and, though updated of course on the inside, the exterior was still completely intact and covered in stone/moss/ivy just as you describe. . . even had a waterwheel (non functioning, as the stream was no longer running along the house). :)

    Thanks for sharing that magical image. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. it must be great to be surrounded by so much inspiration!! i love your drawing this week!

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig