Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday Sketches: Blooming in Beauitful Ways


As the snow tumbles down once again in our cozy town tonight, I grab my hot water bottle and nuzzle up on the couch with the puppy. So many exciting things have happened this week, including new book and licensing projects. I'll be post more about these (hopefully) this coming week.

This past Tuesday morning, I tucked myself away in the corner of a favorite local coffee shop to work on a PowerPoint presentation, as I was the guest speaker for the Colorado Council International Reading Association's local chapter annual convention. It was utterly delightful to meet many local children who desire to be artists themselves when they grow up! (You can visit my Facebook page for a snapshot of the event.) I can't tell you how blessed I was to be an inspiration to so many children that night. One little boy told me he's already written and illustrated two of his own children's books. Adore!

While sitting at the coffee shop that day, I painted the Harney & Sons illustration above. I'm quite pleased with how well it turned out, including the darling tin! I've got a few more of these up my sleeve, so keep an eye out for them. The requests are coming in and I'll paint them as quickly as I can.

Lastly, this past Friday morning, I woke up to a notification that the children's book I illustrated, "Mia's Magical Christmas Eve" won a GOLD MEDAL Feathered Quill Book Award! I can't tell you just how chuffed I was and excited to see my hard work being recognized. Michael and I must have hugged and cried a hundred times that morning. Awwwww! Yay me! So, let's raise our tea cups together and toast to more fabulous times during 2016! (clink clink)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're participating in Sunday Sketches, you can grab the NEW Sunday Sketches button HERE.

Submit your artwork by signing up below with a link to your website/blog. PLEASE make sure to visit each other! One of the biggest reasons for this co-op encouraging and lifting others up in their creative endeavors as well. Thank you!

SHARE:

44 comments

  1. what a great week indeed!! I am so excited for you for many reasons! Love this new illustration. Excited to hear about new book deals in the works, excited that you were asked to speak and encouraged little children wanting to be artists, Excited that your book won an award, and sooo excited that you have Michael to share in all of this wonderful news. Yes, ma`am you are one blessed lady!!! congratulations!! love to you this new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much, Jane. Thank you for your shared excitment, too. Thanks for always believing in me along the way. xx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the book award, how wonderful! And your sketch is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such exciting news, Alexandra! Congratulations! Your illustrations are so sweet...awards are well deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Serena. Humbled by your sweet comment.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations with the Golden Medal!!!

    Happy Sunday!

    Smiles from Belgium, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! Wow! Tis exciting and you so earned it! ~ Lovely sketch painting today too!

    Wishing all the best! ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you, Carol. I know you know how much that means. You've been following my journey for quite some time now. :D

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on all your professional creative endeavors. You are blessed to be working in something you are passionate about. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww....thank you, Arnoldo. I really appreciate your comment. :)

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful,such a delicate style you have and a big congrats on all the exciting stuff coming your way ;)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. So exciting! Thank you for sharing my joy. :)

      Delete
  8. Well, this was one great post from beginning to end!! Congrats on the award and for being such an inspiration to the kids! How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is great news about the award :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you've had a very exciting week! Congratulations on the award, you really deserve it from all your hard work :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a very exciting week, Clare. Thank you on all fronts! xx

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on the award on your book! Fantastic! I love the flower painting above it too, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Lisa. Hope you've had a lovely week.

      Delete
  12. Wow what a fantastic week Alexandra... congratulations.
    A beautiful illustration as always. Your talent and success is truly inspiring :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Neesie. Humbled by your comment. xx

      Delete
  13. Beautiful illustration, and congratulations :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another gorgeous illustration, Alexandra. And congratulations! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really lovely work, warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the book award! We added it to our Christmas collection this year and it is truly a lovely book. Love the illustration this week as well. It reminds me I've been away from my paints too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ginger. So excited it own the darling book. I had a lot of fun and joy illustrating this children's book. :)
      xx

      Delete
  17. It sounds great how you spend your days. And I do not only love your wonderful illustration skills (the tea box with the flowers looks so sweet) I also love it to read your texts. I think you have really a great talent for writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you. A cosy environment definitely promotes creativity. Hope you had a lovely week. :)

      Delete
  18. P.S. And congratulations on the book award as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Doing my happy dance! Continued blessings my friend! I love your art! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you're so sweet, Stacy. hee hee Thank you!

      Delete
  20. Love your beautiful illustrations. What a nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Huge congrats. Alexandra - you deserve this award! That is such a beautiful book cover.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Mary. I'm still pinching myself. hee hee :)

      Delete
  22. Wow, congratulations Alexandra! You are on fire!xx

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig