Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Caring For Your Creative Soul

Since my last post of opening up with how I've been feeling these past several months, I've been able to focus a bit more clearly on what my daily intentions are for my life (...and those around me). On top it, writing that post helped me realize it's only been 8 months since months since we've been home in states and how we lived in 4 different homes in the span of just one year! Goodness! No wonder I've been feeling a bit wonky and off-balance with life.

Taking a bit more time out for me has been key, I think. Meaning, re-figuring out the work-life balance all over again. One might think I should already know this but what I'm learning is that when one goes through life changes, whatever it might be, often requires figuring some of those things out again. It also means, being OK with it and giving yourself permission to do so.

One of the things I've added to my "new" daily routine is reading more, and it's been refreshing. There are some fairly new magazines out addressing some good topics such as well-being and refreshing one's creative soul. Here are a few I enjoy - Breathe, Flow, and Frankie. Many times, I stumble upon articles discussing how important it is to care for ourselves, not just physically but emotionally as well. I mean, seriously, how often do you think about caring for yourself emotionally? It's not the very first thing crossing my mind when pondering about life and the list of things I hope to accomplish. However, it's important to keep this in mind as a deteriorating mental health eventually impacts one's physical well being. Sobering, huh?

I personally believe this is crucial for those who spend most of their time creating. Being a full-time illustrator takes a lot out of one both physically and emotionally. Coming up with a new piece of artwork on a regular basis takes quite a bit of time, not to mention, painting it. It may seem easy-peasy but there are some weeks I spend an entire day in the studio, only to walk away empty-handed. It can be quite discouraging, let me tell you. But, I remind myself it's OK and that tomorrow is a new day! Caring for your creative soul leads to a healthy, balanced life. Isn't that what we all want?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Glad you are finding time for reflection and self care, agreed, most important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. And thank you so much for being such a WONDERFUL, long-time blogger friend. It really means a lot to me. x

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed reading this post Alexandra and I think you came to a significant realization for yourself. 4 homes in one year!! Moving is always rated as one of the major changes of life, no matter the reason or the situation. So I think that is, without a doubt, a key to your recent feeling of displacement and being off-balance. Maybe it's a sense of feeling uprooted where you lost contact with the deeper creative flow?

    I've known so many people who moved to our area by choice because of the natural creative forces of the sea, the mountains, the bay, the rivers, the forests and so on. They are drawn to the space and the silence here. Then, within a year, they are gone. It's never about their art or creativity that they came to tap into, it's that they find that this place is not "busy" enough, not "entertaining" enough or it's too wet, too cold, too quiet, too stormy, too remote, too this or too that. And that always seems to come just at the point where they are starting to teeter on sinking into a routine. . . a deeper practice. . . which can be a hard thing to face for the first time as a creative soul OR to rediscover when we are uprooted from it too. So, with all the moving and change you've been thru, yes it would be very difficult to feel once again rooted in that deeper creative "soil" until things settle a bit more.

    I definitely do not allow myself the time to soothe the emotional balance out within myself. Sofie is far better at it and I envy it. I tend to just plow thru and not take enough time for the mind/body balance. Though, that said, I've developed that practice of writing two-ish hours each morning for a year now and that is totally a respite for my mind and soul so perhaps I am getting better at it and finding my way to it with age. : )

    And yes, full time creating, with it's deadlines, commitments, instabilities and uncertainties lends itself to being a roller coater from euphoric to discouraging. . . but the next day arrives and it's a clean slate, a chance to create again and that new day is a gift for us to embrace, and we DO need to be in the best place possible to make the most of it each day. Sometimes too I think that just means staying the course, keeping the whole ship steady as she goes through all sorts of weather and trusting the inner creative forces to do just what we cultivated them to do. :)

    Lovely post and thank you so much for sharing these thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " . . but the next day arrives and it's a clean slate, a chance to create again and that new day is a gift for us to embrace..."

      What a FANTASTIC thought....I mean, your entire comment is wonderful but these words really spoke to my heart. You have gained a lot of wisdom in your creative journey as well and am honored and blessed you'd take the time to share them here as well as, your own blog. Thank you for doing so.

      Life has certainly thrown many curve balls but I've learned through it all, no matter how big or small the situs, how I pick myself up and deal with it will determine my future....let alone the strength I gain from it all. x

      Delete
  3. it seems that you really needed a break. It is important to realise that which can be hard to admitt sometimes. Take good care of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is important that we take the time to care for ourselves, sometimes to just sit quietly and reflect, gather our thoughts ... or simply to read.
    There are times when we all struggle to find a balance in our life but each new day gives us a chance to embrace the day and make the most out of it we can ...

    My good wishes, and take care of yourself.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...and I've been learning that...in fact, as said, it seems like I keep re-learning certain things as time passes and I grow older. No one told me it would be like that! haha Seriously though, I really love the thought of embracing each new day. x

      Delete
  5. its good that writing that post helped :)

    and i think everyone should read more, and read anything, its still a creative thing and can be a nice break from things that might be bugging us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! and I agree...whatever we read, it gives us a break from many things, including all that we're bombarded with being online in general. I'm finding that reading is taking so much "weight" off my mind and creative spirit....

      xo

      Delete
  6. I agree, it is not easy peasy! It's good to take care of you!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig