Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tapping In To My Childlike Heart


Today was spent entirely in the studio, finishing up two custom orders and then weaving in some online class time. I'm currently studying two individuals and their personal tips for children's illustrators - Lynn Chapman's, Expressive Picture Book Characters and Doreen Mulryan's, People In Picture Books: Developing Your Main Character. After my first few lessons, I practiced illustrating, focusing on technique and perspective a little more than what I typically do and came up with this darling little girl.

While sketching, I reached deep inside, taking hold of my childlike heart, and the 'little girl' inside started pouring out on paper. I don't know about you but after finishing her, I didn't want to do anything else but play! Despite the temptation to put my brushes down, my work continued on into the late afternoon.

I'm quite excited and look forward to what other treasures my pencils and brushes will discover along the way. Who knows what characters will be appearing here. Off to explore!...


SHARE:

26 comments

  1. She's adorable and love her laying on her tummy painting her heart out. She's so real. This is wonderful, Alexandra. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....humbled, Wanda. Thank you, Wanda. She reminds me of when I was little, playing at my grandma's house. Hee xx

      Delete
  2. Wow! She looks 3D. She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I've had several tell me it looks 3D and I wasn't even attempting that. lol :)

      Delete
  3. I love the way that you have captured this sweet girl Alexandra, I feel as if I could pick her up and hold her in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...that's a very sweet comment, Rosemary. Thank you! xx

      Delete
  4. Love, Love Love it! She's my favorite! Can't wait to see whats next! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to always be learning and improving, lovely piece today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Christine. I think it's good to learn, regardless of what stage we're at in our artwork. :)

      Delete
  6. she really is adorable
    how fun that you wanted to play and play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie. Hope you've had a lovely week. :)

      Delete
  7. This is a darling drawing of the he little girl. She is having fun, perhaps like you had when you drew her image.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice :)

    art is my job but if it ever stops feeling like fun/play, I'm done with it lol maybe take up playing the flute again if that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alexandra, you certainly tapped in to your child-like-heart. Love it! Lynn Chapman's videos are great too! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Tracy. It was a lot of fun! :)

      Delete
  10. You made me smile so much with your sweet little girl :) I had as well a look at the books you have recommended and I like the link very much too. Many thanks for sharing :) I think I would enjoy illustrating children's books as well. Maybe I can do this when I retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww....I so loved reading your comment, Stefanie. Thank you. Nothing wrong with illustrating when you retire! :)
      xx

      Delete
  11. I think this is really incredible, as I've mentioned already but wanted to here. Wonderful job! your work is jsut exploding to new levels lately adn it;s super exciting to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved how you showed the painting done by the little girl. It's not only cute, but it gives the viewer a sense of the fun she's having. Also, I love tiny things, so that tiny paint set is VERY wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you, Barbara. My heart just felt very playful that day, so I wanted to reflect that, along with implementing some of the things I've been learning from the online classes I've been taking. :)

      Delete
  13. She took me back instantly to my childhood and painting outside on my front porch when i was about 8. I do enjoy seeing what you come up with. She looks like you could just pick her up.

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig