Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Little Mushroom Magic...

I'm taking a short break this morning from the children's illustration work I've been buried in to start a new series of my own; one that I've had a lot of peeps request - a mushroom series! Thus far, I'm really liking the results. Although, to be fully "honest" with you, I fought the urge to rip the first one in to a million pieces! (Who? This lovely lady?) Uh huh! However, the one thing I discuss and emphasize often to those participating in my "Hello Courage" e-course echoed in my mind - "Don't give up! Keep going!"

My creative theory once again proved me right and that's to never ever throw away a piece you're not happy with! If you're feeling creatively frustrated (like I was!), put it aside and come back to it later on in the day or even a few days later.  I chose to sleep on it and awoke this morning to add just a few final details and am now quite happy with it. The second piece is still on the table, so to speak, as I'm currently deciding whether to leave as is or add some very fine, minimal lines. I'd love to hear your thoughts and what you envision.

For now, I'm off to enjoy my morning cuppa and visit everyone else over at Julia's WOYWW.  Come join the creative fun!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Love those toadstools - great fun ! Ali #62

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic job! I once tried to do mushrooms, no good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the toadstools. We had some just like those in the park two years ago but they only appear very occasionally as if by magic!
    Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 30

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alexandria, thanks for the visit. Glad you liked my Promarker collection, I am starting to add Distress and Stampin' Up markers too. Love your Toadstools - I still find them amazing when I see them in real life. Cx #6

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mushrooms! I like the 2nd one just the way it is! :) I make them out of clay and have been wanting to paint some more, as well. You have inspired me to get out the watercolors more, so we'll see what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for calling by at mine yesterday.....I'm so glad I paid the return visit because your blog is beautiful. Your artwork is stunning.
    My ATCs were from last years swap for the WOYWW celebrations so why not join in the fun this year and swap some with your beautiful artwork on....I'd be up for a swap :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x #17

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your toadstools are beautiful and I'm so glad you didn't rip it up! It's always better to walk away from it for a while and then come back and look at it with new eyes! Many thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, I hope you have a great week,
    Diana #31

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the 2nd one... its very free and so expressive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your beautiful illustrations.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #25

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alexandra, thank you for sharing your gorgeous toadstools, the bright, colourful pictures are up-lifting. I'm glad you didn't give up and gave it another chance, the beautiful results made the effort all the more worthwhile :)

    Angela x
    Angel Greetings #36

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these are wonderful Alexandra! I love mushrooms and these are magical! So cute! I'm glad you didn't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alexandra,
    these truly are very magical mushroom sketches ...love them!
    You create magic in all your works ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you kept at it and I love what came out of this! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comment. I am so pleased you like my work. I am already a follower of your blog. I have joined in with Sunday Sketches a couple of times in the past and I think your illustrations are lovely. How nice it must be to illustrate children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a line girl so I do love the lines! However, I love the watery paint in the other one, beautiful textures. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think taking a break from the piece is the best way to go, after a time, something that might looks bad to you, it probably isn't.

    I would add lines to the second piece because that's what I would do but if it's part of a series, I would make it the same as the other pieces but of cause, it is up to you.

    hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello
    they are both lovely and such different styles which is fun.
    i wonder if you have changed the second one by now.
    if it were mine i would leave it alone or add some pencil lines, either way, it is such a personal call.
    sweet weekend to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both fantastic mushrooms are just so magical to look at hugs Nikki 7
    sorry so late

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig