Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Sketches: Renewing the heart

 

Some of you might remember this illustration from a few years ago when I first started exploring watercolors. As I was sorting through old illustrations, I stumbled upon it and decided to give it a fresh look. As I reflect upon the final results, in which I'm quite pleased with, it has me thinking about a few things tonight.

Recently, I lost the balance of things in my life. So much, that I was wrestling with anger inside towards myself and in the end, it became a magnet to other negative things. When that happened, I started to realize those negative feelings needed addressing before it all went spiraling out of control. I wish I could say that I've mastered life, its ups and downs, bouncing back from temporary setbacks, etc. Most of the time, I do well.  Occasionally, like this weekend, I don't.  I knew it was time to step back and find a way to deal with those feelings as it was beginning to impact those I love around me.

Earlier this evening, I put on my jacket and and went on a walk with the pups, intending to get my head and heart in check once again - and that is certainly what I did. Doing so has lifted this huge weight off my mind and shoulders, leaving me in a place of peace and where my heart is beginning to feel renewed.

Know that I share such struggles with the hope of encouraging all of us on days where life feels incredibly challenging. We all struggle at times, especially when life feels out of control. For me, I had to realize and understand (once again) that there are just some things in life I cannot control - and that's OK! The important part of all of this is that I'm taking care of me an what I can control - those things that I thank my lucky stars for every single day - my life and my family. Period. It is then and only then where the pieces fall back into place and the renewing of the heart can begin.

Grab the Sunday Sketches button HERE.
 

Submit your artwork by signing up below with a link to your website/blog.  PLEASE make sure to visit each other! One of the biggest reasons for this co-op is to encourage and lift others up in their creative endeavors as well.  Thank you!

 
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Beautiful sketch! Walks help me a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sketches!!!!
    Happy to be back at Sunday Sketches!

    Smiles, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't we all had weeks like that, and they certainly are not fun. Glad to hear the fresh air and pups helped you push through it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I'll get to a sketch today, but I still love stopping by, visiting you and the Sunday sketch participants. :)

    And I love the typewriter sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Tinna, new here and also new to arts :))
    I like both your paintings, can't decide :)

    Have a great Sunday!
    Tinna ✐


    ReplyDelete
  6. Those readjustments may not be easy but they sure do help! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I get in that state of mind/heart too sometimes. Brilliant that you thought to go out for a walk. The fresh air and change of pace always help me feel better which gives rise to clearly seeing what options I have. Glad that you were able to bring yourself center again.

    And I love the typewriter illustration that you've renewed with watercolor! wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't tell you what I love more this time your beautiful words or your beautiful picture. You have such a talent to put strange and burdening situations into wonderful words and I really admire this so much. Sometimes I feel like this s well and I think it is very helpful writing down these fears and stressful thoughts. I wish I could do this like you are doing it. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your illustration of this old fashiened typewriter too, as it is such a gorgeous symbol for writing down all kind of thoughts. Have a good start into the week tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking always helps me sort out life. Love the typewrite illustration

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that you had a bad day. For what it's worth, I think you're an inspiration and should be extremely proud of the achievements you've made, artistically, academically and with family! Chin up and keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered your Sunday Sketches about 3 weeks ago and really like what you share, as well as all the other links. Both of your illustrations look lovely, it is fun to try new things with older sketches. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the vibrancy of the colors of the new version ... Of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello,
    i have had a hard day today, i think we all do. walking is a wonderful thing to help, or yoga or meditation, sometimes talking to a loved one. I am so glad your walk and doggies helped you. Sometimes i think the high art is: can we be with what is

    your art is lovely ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Alexandra! This is a beautiful illustration - both composition and colour-wise!
    Glad to hear you were able to walk off the negative thinking. It is an ongoing challenge to achieve balance in life and I admire that you notice when you lose it. Being aware of when it deserts us is half the battle for retrieving it. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful illustration, I love it so! Thanks so much for adding me in. You are such an inspiration, you face life's challenge with so much of a force for goodness. I hope things get better and better for you.

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig