Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday Sketches: Magical Overalls


Wouldn't you just love to have a pair of magical overalls? You know, the kind that have lots of pockets, big and small, and every time you reach into one, you find something special tucked deep within. It could be a favorite charm from your best friend or maybe it's that seashell you found at the beach last summer? Who knows but magical overalls are the best! Uh huh. Can you imagine what this red haired young boy has tucked away deep in his pockets?  :)

As mentioned last week, I've been working on fine tuning my characters and technique, along with exploring some new mediums. Like these fabulous Tombow brushes above. They look like markers but are actually brushes with ink that paint in the most incredible way. The end results have a watercolor look and feel to them. What's even better are the multiple, yet simple, ways you can use them. For example, you can create shadowing by layering the the same color as many times as you'd like. Also, you can mix the colors with one another without ruining the tips of your brushes. I'm in love with them and will be implementing these into my children's illustrations.

It's been a long week here. I'm looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea in hand, relaxing and catching up with everyone. Happy Sunday Sketches, everyone!

If you're participating in Sunday Sketches, you can grab the NEW Sunday Sketches button HERE.

Submit your artwork by signing up below with a link to your website/blog. PLEASE make sure to visit each other! One of the biggest reasons for this co-op is encouraging and lifting others up in their creative endeavors as well. Thank you.

SHARE:

21 comments

  1. beautiful work and I like the sound of the markers / paint brushes,,I would love a pair of magic over alls,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magical overalls sounds like something good indeed! Being able to mix colors without ruining the tip is a great advantage to those markers.

    Love your red-headed boy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pencils look amazing, I love the effect! Thanks for the tip. And that's a beautiful sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the little red head guy you created!! I have a whole set of those tom bows/markers that makes me want to get them back out and play!! happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a sweet child in you illustration, and looks like he can control the magic in his overalls. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boy looks so happy in his magic overall! I bet he's tucked away some sweets in there as well as some joke items with which he can do some really nasty things which are also badly funny though. I also own some Tombow markers. Recently I only used them for lettering but I have to take them out to do some sketching and coloring with them again. Thanks for the reminder. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's adorable! I love him. You are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another 'sweetie' ~ love the red hair!

    Happy Creating ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. A darling little boy. Yes, I can imagine what he has in his pockets, having had two boys who picked everything up to save.
    Yvonne xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, please, I would love a pair of magic overalls!! Adorable drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now magic overalls sounds just what I need! He's so cute and I can imagine that he's got lots of mischief hidden in those pockets.
    I wish I could put my hand into a pocket and pull out those pens... oh boy they look the biz Alexandra. I'm definitely going to look into those.
    Thanks for all the inspiration from my visits here and for hosting. It's really appreciated.
    I hope you have a wonderful creative week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the boy and his magic overalls. I am sure his pockets are full of colorful shells and stones. Those markers do sound rather fab! Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  13. This time I am in time, i did'nt forget. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a charming idea! Such a sweet illustration too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks great :D I'm going to have to see if I can find those brushes/pens :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the pose of the little boy. The overalls are really cute. Thanks for the marker idea. I'll have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little guy in the overalls is so precious! Yes, for sure magical overalls! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Markers can be lots of fun. Love your illustration! I'd say his overalls would have to hold a pocket-knife somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, I'm too late to link up! Had a somewhat rough Sunday yesterday and forgot. But, on a positive note, I got to see your latest drawing and your text made me smile :) Yes, I'd like a pair of those overalls, please!
    I have the Tombows, too and like them a lot. I got them for handlettering initially, but now I just use them whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute illustration! The effect of those brushes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

© Alexandra MacVean. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig