Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Making Life At Home


Since my bad car accident about 20 months or so ago, life has changed quite a bit. Initially, the change was not only abrupt, it brought along with it some pretty challenging times. I went from a full-time student studying Psychology, working part-time on campus and creating art part-time at home to then being forced to an 8-month recovery on the sofa alone! I remember bursting out in tears (and anger) one time to the hubby, frustrated and discouraged from all of the loss. The biggest struggle for me was the loss of my independence, as is often the case with illness or injury. This girl had to depend on my husband to feed, dress and bathe me for quite some time.

Needless to say, it changed me...again...inside and out. As I lay on the sofa every single day for several months, I began to really take note of all those little things around me that brought me joy like never before. It could have been something as simple as the way the sun shone through the front window in the early morning hours, casting a ray of light on a vase of flowers, or how our doggie would climb onto the end of the sofa, curl up at my feet and keep me company during the endless hours recovering alone.

To make a very long story short, life changed significantly. Where would life have taken me had I stayed wrapped up in the anger and frustration of all the loss that occurred, starting that fateful April morning in 2014? Eventually though, I found the courage to once again rise above and move forward! It was the best thing I could've done, despite circumstances at that time. I just came to a point of making a decision this too could no longer define me and had to believe that another set back meant surely something else was in store.

Before the car accident, I would be gone pretty much every day, studying for exams and/or working on campus. Now, I make life at home, our home, and as full-time illustrator... and I couldn't be happier. There's great joy in illustrating for the world around me and a deep satisfaction in taking care of my husband every single day. That reminder alone buoys me when still contending with pain. Just making that perfect cuppa brings such smiles. Life couldn't be sweeter. Truly. I'm not just lucky to have an incredible man and wonderful children in my life, I'm down right BLESSED!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I'm so happy for you, you are a real survivor Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Alexandra you are well and truly blessed and such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really amazing how Michael was there for you through such a rough time following your accident - I know you couldn't have had a better person to help you recuperate. So happy all has turned out well Alexandra and the fact you are now doing what you are best at, creating beauty with your art.
    That Brendel IS one of the cutest Scottie's ever - just look at that expression on his darling face. Love his snowflake bandanna and guess he's already giving us a heads up for Valentine's Day! I would love to have a doggie like him.
    Mary x

    P.S. Please let me know when to expect my order - baby shower is first week in March and I will need time for framing - hope that works for you dear. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Do you know we just married 4 months prior to the accident?! I couldn't imagine anyone better than he either. He's a great man overall. Isn't Brendel just a cutie?! Love how he poses...when he's in the mood! haha

      PS I'll be shipping your illustrations at the beginning of this coming week.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much dear - I'm excited!
      Mary x

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it takes something drastic, such as your accident, to truly open one's heart and eyes to see how truly blessed we already are. You are so very fortunate to have such a wonderful, loving man in your life. Many would have walked away, never looking back at the huge responsibility that unexpectedly entered their life. And your amazing talent is such that I, for one, envy more than you know. I have dabbled with sketching and oil painting, but my work is nothing in comparison to what you have been blessed with.

    God bless you, Alexandra. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Charlotte. You really blessed me. Glad to have met you and have you in my life. :)

      Delete
  5. I admire you SO much Alexandra ..... you are a very strong woman and have had to battle so many things but look at you now. All of the obstacles that you have overcome have made you stronger and you will have learnt many lessons from them. It means that you can enjoy this wonderfully happy time to the max !!! Be very proud of yourself. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you very much, Jackie! Yes, way too much for anyone to have to endure...but I did it! So thankful I found my way through it all and came out shining like (almost) gold! lol And grateful to have a wonderful husband and father in my life as well. xx

      Delete
  6. it often takes a MAJOR illness or accident sadly to make people wake up and look at life differently. people tell me all the time they don't understand why I can be so cheerful when I have MS. I think the reason I am so carefree about most things is because of the MS, makes you realize life is about a lot more than the rat run people are on, and you need to enjoy life, do what you want, see what you want, not just do what is expected of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it sometimes does. Terribly sorry to hear you're dealing with MS but as you know, rising above and showing the world we are not defeated by our circumstances - well that's what you and I are doing! Proud of YOU, Jennifer!! :)

      Delete
  7. What a terrifying experience to have gone through Alexandra. Reading your story reveals not only a tale of great courage but also triumph over adversity, and finally one that ends in great happiness too.
    Thank you for sharing this inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humbled by your comment, Rosemary. Thank you very much! xx

      Delete
  8. You are blessed to have the life you have now and I am truly happy for you !
    (and I always so love seeing your beautiful sketches!)

    Happy New Year, may it be a wonderful one for you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie! So wonderful to see you back in the bloggie world! You've been missed! Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  9. Yes you are blessed, not only with a wonderful home, hubby and puppy, but you are blessed with a wonderful soul! You love yourself and you will never take anything for granted! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Stacey! Blushing here. Blessed to have wonderful friends like you as well! xx

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the reminder to enjoy the simple things! I hope never to experience something as traumatic as your accident. I hope to enjoy your sketches for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alexandra, I didn't realize until I read this post what you've had to deal. Your decision to be positive is a wonderful testimony I know will help others. Glad you're able to work from home and take of hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing through adversity is a beautiful thing. It takes courage to rise above instead of sinking into despair - I really admire you for it Alexandra. How wonderful that you are now able to live your creative dream - and doing it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig